On Tuesday I was on my way home from a drive with Kim, and Ashley calls my phone and tells me that I should probably stay at Kim's tonight. I asked why and she proceeded to tell me it was because there was a van of stranded band members staying at our house. I was shocked. I went home to get some of my things to spend the night at Kim's and I walked into a room full of strange men and smells. Our house reeked! I asked Christine about the guys that were still outside in the van and she proceeded to tell me that they were drinking and Michelle wouldn't let them do it in the house. So I bet you are wondering how they even got to my house? Well, they were traveling home from a tour in Boise, Idaho and their van broke down, so one of them called his dad and asked him for the number of a mechanic in Laramie; however, the number he gave them happened to be my roommate Michelle's. So they called and asked if she was a mechanic and explained their situation to her. She felt compassion for them and offered for them to stay the night at our house in tents in the backyard. Needless to say I was mortified when I found all of this out but it turned out that they were able to get a new van that night and they left Laramie at around 1 or 2 in the morning. Now if that wasn't interesting enough something else happened on Friday.
I was at the Institute on Friday night helping put together the float for the homecoming parade that was today. Afterwards, I walked into the Institute to find my friend Jeremiah and another man talking about the gospel. I soon found out that this man named Charles was stranded in Laramie and needed a ride to Cheyenne to pick up his mail. I also learned that he was homeless. The missionaries were working to find him a place to stay while we talked with him. After a while they told us that they had found a place for Charles to stay with a warm shower and a mattress waiting for him. We all thought that was great until we found out that the homeless shelter was in Cheyenne and they had just closed all the roads out of Laramie due to a storm that was sweeping across eastern Wyoming. We were stuck. We were out of options of places Charles could stay. Jeremiah and I took Charles to our last resort, the hospital, and talked to man there who said that Charles could probably stay in the waiting room of the ER that night until we took him to Cheyenne today. So we left Charles there and went to Jacob's to watch a movie and wait. Then today I get a text form Jeremiah that says that Charles got himself a room in at the Days Inn and that he will be staying here and attending church with us tomorrow. How cool is that! All in all this week has been tough but very interesting at the same time. I look forward to this coming week and the adventures it holds!



No comments:
Post a Comment